Monday 14 March 2011

Men in camouflage will never get to know.


Another week starts and I was happy to have the excuse to stay close to the house. The lorry delivering the new sized gravel was due late morning or early afternoon but in either case the driver was due to call us to get final directions and we have learnt that you need to be there and have your directions ready. I am seriously challenged with my language skills every time but living where we do other peoples lovely’s do not always find us so the well rehearsed patter of how to find us is a must. So there I was, happy to potter around the house when the call came mid morning and the lorry was in Catz, we therefore had only a few minutes to get a flag up to show which gate to stop at, grab the cheque book because amazingly you pay the driver and we set off up the garden. When you are retired and on a project an event like this is quite exciting, please don’t be sad for us, we really quite enjoy it, no pressure and no long hours but achieving and happy.
We spent the rest of the day on the ongoing quest to move as much of the wrong sized gravel and we also lifted the membrane which we stupidly laid when building the car park last year. We now know it was a BIG mistake and big mistakes have to be put right and  before we have the parking area in constant use with holiday makers. Positive thinking never did anyone any harm.

Second job of the day was to deport a rabbit we caught in our humane rabbit trap. We have re-homed about ten rabbits since we have been setting the trap about two years ago but have also caught hedghogs and my cat chose to be curious and spent a very embarrassing night locked up. It was HOSS who made a be-line to her side to alert me to the fact that "the cat was in the trap” but I had to go back to the house to get my camera before I let her out.  Once we have a rabbit we get into the car and transport it to another field. We are extremely neighbourly and have ear marked places where there are no other gardens and I feel good and very wholesome as we let the little blighters free and give them a second chance at life.  We were having lunch with Jacqueline our elderly lady of the land friend who threw her hands up in horror at our humane approach to rabbits and she warned us not to tell too many people in the village about our trap or we may get the local chase on our backs for moving their prey. I must confess to laughing with her as I honestly thought she was pulling my leg but she was very serious and so I only tell non chase people about our Free Willy procedure and hope our local men in camouflage will never get to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment