Tuesday 5 April 2011

Mike quite likes it too.


It is all over, well the muck and guts is over, and all we need to do now is get the caravans in place. We took a ride down to the beach to take HOSS for a run and also to check out what the camping sites are doing in our area. We were in Point P the other day picking up more building material when Didier, our neighbour's brother, shook us both by the hand and said, comment ca va les campings??  I had never conceived of the idea that our two little vans constituted a “campings” but there you are, we have purpose and possibilities so we must rise to the mark and see what everyone else is charging and come in under the going rate to encourage the punters to come to us.

We started off at the Utah beach Camping sites and took a photo of the tariff board. We are amazed what people will pay. To get a triangular view of things we went to another site down the coast where I pretended that we had a crowd coming from the UK and needed prices and they gave me brochures with prices, contents inventories and just about everything I need to know. They also invited us to wonder around the site and we looked at what is normal and noticed that the vans at both sites did not have concrete bases or terraces and we began to realise that we were perhaps over thinking our installation. Mike is, as I write, measuring and pricing up to install our vans  like the professionals have. We need to make a few short cuts as some of the costs have mounted and cutting down on concrete bases seems like a good idea. I am, however very pleased to say that the Dr Groundwork’s invoice came in bang on Quote and Dean even scraped a flat area for Mikes over ground swimming pool, a spontaneous buy that I am sure I am going to love. Ami and Dean came over this morning to pick up the digger and collect their money and presented us with a home made cake creation which just bowled us over and means that we have posh cake for the rest of the week.

   



I mentioned in a recent blog that I burnt the scones,  well, yesterday I incinerated two fruit cakes and was feeling pretty fed up but Ami has put all that to rights and I am delighted. I know she is hoping to make a little cottage industry out of her cakes and I hope she finds a comfy little client base who want celebration cakes. I am going to order Mikes quite soon.
So Mike and I can cut down on the expenditure now that the big job is finished, we are going to work steadily for the rest of the summer watching out for bargains to get our project ready to market and earn some income.  I am quite looking forward to have guests and If you would have said that to me five years ago when we came here I would have said nahhhh, don’t want customers, but here we are, on the brink of this next adventure, and excited…..

The poly tunnel is a hive of industry with all the little seedlings developing and growing every day. I know why I love gardening this way, it’s like being a new mummy, every year. I nurture and develop all this new growth and it makes me excited and satisfied to know that the time spent here will make our summer colourful and edible.. Every one of these babies is a meal in the making or a vista to appreciate and I am proud and glad that I am able to do it but more importantly, that Mike quite likes it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment