Sunday 13 November 2011

isn’t that amazing.


Yesterday afternoon we started to prepare for our belated bonfire party and frankly it felt more like setting up for a summer BBQ. We were working in shirtsleeves and I could not help but stop and marvel at the quality of light and how everything in the garden still looked vibrant.  Our guests were due to arrive at 7:30 and as we sat out just us two in the warm November breeze clutching a cup of mulled cider, I suggested Mike light the fire so that we don’t have a mad panic with out of control furnace and a crowd of people standing around watching me running about clutching fire blankets and extinguishers which actually is the norm for me when Mike decides to light any size of bon fire




Graham and Ann arrived with a swanky dressed Guy fawkes and I heard Mike comment that the guy was better dressed than him. We waited for our token children guests  to turn up before we pulled Graham off BBQ duties and then onto guy burning duties. You can see that the fire was well down already I think my out of control fire phobia had taken it’s toll but our friends understood where I was coming from and I think I was forgiven for not have a roaring and frankly ridiculous fire to step back from in fear of  being frazzled.






We tried to keep things really simple and opted  for the traditional French feast of sausage in a baguette, lots of nibbles my special mulled cider and lashings of wine. You can see that  despite putting out loads of seating we all bunched together in a huddle around the bar and food table chatting and listening to cassettes of old French crooning music. At the appropriate time Mike set off with the Oakes lads to set off the fireworks which at great expense was a loud and bright display that only lasted for fifty four seconds. Good thing really as I had not paid attention to HOSS who ran to me when they set off  lay on the ground and barked like a possessed hound , I won’t be doing that again.....




When some of the guests went home those left decanted to the kitchen to warm  up on coffee, cake and when Mike opened our treasure trove of a drinks cabinet the whole event kicked up a few notches and we sat around my beloved table both French and English laughing and making mad conversation until the wee hours. Two in the morning to be precise, and then Mike and I went back up into the garden to bring back all the left overs. I sat out watching over the remains of the fire and in wonder of this fabulous November weather. We have had the proverbial duvet day today and I have just taken HOSS for his last walk and scraped over the fire only to see that after 24 hours it is still alight and giving off heat…isn’t that amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment