Tuesday 24 May 2011

Shed a little light on this image, I’d appreciate it.

There are good things and bad things about any type of life style  but living in a foreign land certainly has it’s,  in the stratosphere highs and it’s, bottom of the deepest oceans low. Today our Ford explorer went for it’s 2 yearly MOT. When you run an old car you expect the odd problem and as predicted it failed the test on a broken front seat that was OK before it went in and the question of non conformity on the head lights which we paid many hundreds of Euros converting to French two years ago. There was also a fault we had absolutely no understanding of  but took the failure form home and started browsing the dictionary but to no enlightenment. Mike mended the seat which broke while the inspector was testing the breaks, remind me to be in front of him on the day I nearly get run down, and then we just had to admit defeat on the other issues and drove back down to the MOT center to be shown the problems. I took my many hundreds of Euros invoice with me to prove that we had not bodged the head light conversion and one of the inspectors compatriots had done the job. then Mike and he were lying on the forecourt pointing and grunting at the right hand wheel ball joint. So, not so serious and now that Mike absolutely knows where he is at, it is onto the net to order the bits….we hope. We did pop into the local garage to source the parts but, Ford and, Explorer, do not even come close to being part of his vocabulary. 



On Sunday whilst Mike was mowing the lawn on his newly mended mower, I drove over to Torigny sur Vire with Genevievre to sing in a concert by invitation of their vicar. We were confronted by a depleted audience and a much, depleted choir. It is holiday time and a three thirty Sunday outing does not suit all but it seems the good part of the choir turned up and we did rather well. The sign hanging in the church was enough to raise our faith in our abilities and I was double tickled when the said vicar, came over to explain that he used to be the vicar of Carentan and when he asked if I knew Jacqueline Ferreau I was able to reply with pride, do I know Jacqueline?  Why, I was sitting at her lunch table only yesterday, it really is not what you know in life, but who.
The Dentist is a bit of an issue for me only because I have a childhood fear of lost teeth and nauseous anaesthetics. I had a tooth ache developing so got us both an appointment first thing Monday morning….Thirty years ago the dentist in the Uk told me that I would loose the tooth that was  hurting me  now so I prepared myself for the worst and during that indescribable waiting room moment when all you can hear is somebody else’s drilling experience I distracted myself and read the charges and pay back percentages  by the state and just absently mentioned to Mike that I could have a plate with seven false teeth for five hundred euros and the state would pay us back one hundred and fifty . Mike thought I was just making small talk as he had no idea where I was going with this discussion. The good news is that the pain I have been experiencing was put right with a little outside filling and then the dentist said nothing else for me,  see you in a year. I won’t even start to explain my emotions as  I hope you know me well enough by now to know how I felt.




We popped into the depot vends at Auvers today to sell my espresso machine, last of the Watten business left overs. I took a picture of this adorable little cot because every time I see it. I get a sense of a childhood memory and somewhere in my life  this image is important or poignant so if any of my brothers and sisters can shed a little light on this image I’d appreciate it.   


No comments:

Post a Comment