Wednesday 16 February 2011

Trying to compose it myself.



I have already mentioned that writing one thousand five hundred Euros is becoming tedious and hey presto like magic I am going to have to mention it again. The quote came in from the JCB man and I only needed to look at the four figure number to know we were in for a shocker and then we received the quote to have the concrete delivered in a real spinning tub style mixer and I gave up the will to live. We also received a package from EDF to apply for a new electricity supply and what with a hang over left over and spoilt sleep due to the hang over this morning was a little fraught and needed to have some order and organisation infused into it over a nice cup of tea. We started by taking a walk onto the field to photograph the proposed electricity supply plan. We then speculated on the amount of work required by the JCB man and contemplated the possibility of spending a week making our own plinths with home made concrete. They say that home made is good and as are really trying to be self motivated and wholesome we have broken the back of the list of issues by deciding to delete the ready made  concrete from the plan. One problem down. I then made a call to see if it would be cheaper to upgrade the electricity supply to the house then take a cable up to the vans. I was being lulled into a promising solution by a friendly customer services man who suggested we could easily upgrade to a three phase system that would cost more but give us the capacity we are looking for.  I for one was delighted with the proposal and dutifully wrote every thing down so that Mike could get a handle on the way the conversation was going but he put a stop to it immediately as I wrote the words,  3 phase. Mike, in his capacity of maintenance engineer then took the trouble to explain to me why three phase would be a bad upgrade on an old house and I was so convinced he knew what he was talking about that I got straight onto the form filling and picture printing and had the envelope addressed and stamped up before you could mention lunch.   The only thing outstanding from this mornings moanings is the ground work quote which we have to bite the bullet on, we will need to make sure that we get plenty of auxiliary use from the machines and that we really do leave the technical detail of the installation to the man who can and for that you need to pay. Yesterday after all the washing up and clearing up was complete I just needed to get out in the garden for some air so we took a walk around the allotment and noticed that the poppy seeds have germinated in abundance exactly where we don’t want poppies to grow and Mike suggested that we transplant these little plants where we do want them. It was as though Mike had given me a toffee to chew on and I felt a need to grab my barrow and his spade as we only have one left on site for some reason and I started digging. At the gate entrance there is a mound of mud that we wanted to have in the middle of the garden as a feature but when it came to it the logistics of moving tons of mud from where it had been dumped after scraping out our car park was just too much to contemplate and although we could get Mr JCB to give us a hand the lump has now found it’s space and it is well and truly a part of that bit of the garden so today I transplanted many many poppy babies and have covered a good half of one side.  I will scatter seed from last year to finish the effect but I am happy that I have not wasted good plants and that the mound has now got a personality and purpose. I also dragged a stray willow from the earth that had set its boots firmly in the middle of the allotment exactly where it should not be and I have given it fairy status and planted it on the top of the mound. There is something very calming about a willow on a hill, is there a song clanging about in my subconscious that will disturb my sleep tonight ? perhaps not, and if not,  I will still loose sleep anyway  trying to compose it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment